Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Above the Smog

I've recently been introduced to trail running. I love running, and I love hiking. The natural mixture would be to run on a trail. Well it took the generosity of a stranger to make the suggestion. I have already forgotten the name of the person who suggested this to me, but he is an upstanding citizen of Orem nevertheless.

These past few weeks I've caught a bad case of the winter blues. After all, 'It is winter and there is nothing to do out side'. Right?

This seems to be the sentiment this time of year. But today I found myself walking around, outside, without any sweater or coat, and I wasn't cold. It is a beautiful day, and I went running!

We all learn at a young age that Utah is a desert. This is true. We need, and love, our snow; however, this year is a little different. There is no need to mope. We are caught in some sort of autumn-spring continuum that doesn't quite equate to winter, and there is a silver lining. Take a look:

I know...right? Beautiful!

All you nature lovers, go for a hike. And if you don't like nature, your time for repentance has been prolonged--because now is the perfect time to start loving it.

It was easy breathing above the smog. (Which is good, because the view was breathtaking.)

Sure there was a little mud, and sure there was a little snow, but there was enough snow to avoid stepping in the mud, and the snow was stiff enough to make a good foot hold and stiff enough to not get any liquid in your shoes. Next time I go, I'll take a friend.

Only one word of caution, take some shoes you are less fond of.

No comments:

Post a Comment